One of the many perks of renting from Oak Park Apartments is its maintenance-free living. All of our apartments in Oak Park, Chicago, River Forest and Forest Park have full-time maintenance and grounds staff, as well as 24-hour emergency maintenance service, to keep everything in tip-top shape and promptly resolve any problems.
In the event that you have a maintenance concern, we’ve put together this helpful guide to help you determine when an issue requires immediate emergency service and when you should file a routine maintenance request for your apartment.
24-Hour Emergency Maintenance Issues
A maintenance emergency is any issue that, if not immediately repaired, could jeopardize your health, cause injury, or seriously damage property. Examples of emergency maintenance requests include the following:
- Fire – If you see flames or smell smoke. Note: Always call 911 first.
- Flooding – If you encounter a water leak that can’t be contained in a bucket. Note: Move your belongings out of harm’s way.
- Natural Gas Leak – If you notice a smell like rotten eggs. Note: Leave your apartment immediately.
- Door Lock Malfunction – If you are unable to lock your door or gain access to your unit. Note: This is different than a lock out.
- Electrical Outage – If you lose power in your apartment or lighted outdoor areas. Note: First, try resetting the circuit breakers and the GFI breakers on your outlets, and contact your electric provider to see if there is a service area outage.
- Air Conditioning Failure – If the outside temperature is 90 degrees or above.
- No Heat – If the outside temperature is 50 degrees or below.
- Clogged Toilet – If it is the only toilet in the unit.
- Broken Refrigerator – If the fridge or freezer is not staying cold. Note: Keep the door closed to preserve as much cold as possible and avoid spoiling food.
Emergency maintenance requests should not be submitted online. Please call the office immediately at (708) 622-9246. If calling after normal business hours, follow the prompts for an emergency. One of our onsite maintenance staff members will be in contact with you shortly after receiving the call to get more information about your situation.
High-Priority Maintenance Issues
These are issues that require expedited consideration, but not immediate attention. High-importance issues receive priority over non-emergency issues and are typically handled during normal maintenance hours. Examples of non-emergency, high-priority maintenance requests include the following.
- Plumbing Leaks – If you have a leaky pipe, typically under the bathroom or kitchen sink, which can be contained in a bucket.
- Air Conditioning Failure – If the outside temperature is below 90 degrees.
- No Heat – If the outside temperature is above 50 degrees.
- Clogged Toilet – If there is another functioning toilet in the unit.
If you experience a high-priority maintenance issue, we recommend contacting calling the office at (708) 622-9246, rather than submitting a maintenance request online.
Non-Emergency Maintenance Issues
These are routine maintenance issues that do not require immediate attention or expedited priority. While an inconvenience, they are typically minor issues that can wait a few days to be repaired. Some examples include:
- Ice Maker Not Working
- Dishwasher Not Working
- Washer/Dryer Not Working
- Stove Burner Not Heating Up
- Leaky Faucet
If you have a non-emergency maintenance issue, we ask that you submit your request online using the Tenant Portal.