OakParkApartments.com had heard rumors about a “Tea Room” being located at our 418 Lake St. property (Lake and Elmwood is how it is fondly referred to). Looking for some information on the history of the the “Tea Room”, OakParkApartments went to its’ friends at The Historical Society of Oak Park and River Forest to ask for some help. The information was not easy to find but Frank Lipo, Executive Director of the Historical Society, would not let that stop him. After much digging Mr. Lipo found several ads advertising the space.
The building itself was under construction in May of 1913 by developer Henry Hogans. By November of 1913 the Elmwood Tea Room, at 128 – 130 Elmwood Avenue, was open for business.
Today the Elmwood Tea Room is used as storage but it is not hard to envision the space in its former glory, serving up oyster cocktail, roast wild duck and a lovely peach meringue pie to property residents and Oak Parkers alike.