When you own your own home it is a given that you are responsible for the mortgage, taxes, repairs, maintenance, etc… but when you are a tenant what your responsibilities are can be less clear cut.
When you rent an apartment you become responsible for that space because it becomes your home. Of course everyone knows that they must pay their rent and pay it on time but many renters do not realize what their other responsibilities are.
- Limit the number of people living in the home to the number of people allowed according to your lease.
- No Smoking. Oak Park Apartments properties are smoke free.
- Notify OPA through our on-line tenant portal when regular maintenance repairs are needed.
- Damages that may occur due to you or your guests are your personal responsibility.
- Keep your apartment and common areas clean and in good condition.
- Maintain your smoke/carbon monoxide detector. While OPA is responsible for making sure all apartments have detectors it is the tenant who is responsible for testing and replacing the batteries at minimum yearly.
- Change the lightbulbs in your apartment. May seem obvious but there is always someone who puts in a maintenance request when they have a lightbulb burn out in their apartment. Common areas are a different story – please notify the office when lightbulbs need replacing in all common areas.
- Respect the neighbors. Keep noise to a level that will not disturb others.
- Purchase Renters Insurance. If there is a fire or a water leak, for example, OPA is responsible for fixing the apartment not replacing your personal belongings.
- Leave your apartment in the same condition as when you moved in when you are moving out, less normal wear and tear of course and return the keys promptly. This will also help to ensure you receive your security deposit back in full.