Moving can be stressful. Whether you are moving into or out of one of Oak Park Apartments apartments we would like to make your move go as smooth as possible.
By following these simple packing tips you can be assured that you are organized and your belongings get to your new place, intact!
- Don’t pack things you no longer use, need or want. Sort by category. All like items together. Then decide how many pairs of scissors, how many pizza cutters, how many sets of towels, how many of anything is necessary. Pare down, sell, donate. Be ruthless.
- Start early, packing always takes more time then you expect.
- Purchase plenty of packing supplies. Especially heavy duty packing tape – you will go through more then you ever imagined.
- Have an assortment of boxes on hand – all shapes and sizes will be needed. You can save or find boxes for free on Craigslist. Invest money in a wardrobe box for all your hanging clothes – truly a lifesaver.
- In order to protect what is in your boxes have a variety of filler: newspaper – either shredded or full sheets to wrap breakables, towels, sheets, blankets (all free ways of protecting your things), and finally, save/purchase bubble wrap for your highly breakable belongings.
- Pack away seldom used items and off season clothes first.
- Pack a few boxes a day so you do not get overwhelmed.
- Get out your Sharpie and make sure to label your boxes. List what you’ve packed on the outside of the box.
- Organize your boxes by room – i.e.: bathroom – towels, shower curtain, bath rugs; bedroom – sheets, mattress pad, pillows. This technique will be especially helpful when you are unpacking.
- Pack heavy items in smaller boxes so they are easy to lift and carry.
- Take pictures of complicated technological setups like your T.V. – visuals are a helpful reminder.
- Cover your T.V./mirrors/pictures with a towel or bed sheet. Wrap and tape in bubble wrap. Finally, wrap and tape with heavy duty card board.
- Do not seal your boxes until you are close to your moving date – you never know when you might need that winter coat.
- As you get closer to your move pare down even further and start living on your absolute essentials – a week’s worth of clothes, toiletries, few kitchen necessities, bedding and towels – pack the rest and know you ready for moving day.
- Number all your boxes.
- When you start taping boxes shut make sure to reinforce boxes that are heavy with extra tape.
- Lastly, a good idea is to pack an “Open First” box. Items that should be included are: important paperwork, medications, toiletries, 1 set of sheets, 1 set of towels, scissors (to help open other boxes), first aid kit, pajamas, & a change of clothes.