OakParkApartments.com went to www.walkscore.com/IL/Oak_Park to find out Oak Park’s walk-ability score and let’s just say Oak Park gets high marks for being a walkable community. Depending on your zip code Oak Parkers scores range from 76, a “very walkable” rating on up to 95, a “walkers paradise” rating.
What makes a community walkable you ask?
- A center: It can either mean a building or main street – we could consider Lake Street and Oak Park Avenue as our “center”.
- People: Oak Park has scads – over 52,000.
- Parks and public space: Should we start listing, Scoville Park, Austin Gardens, Taylor Park, Ridgeland Commons, Rehm Park……
- Affordable housing located near businesses: but of course – its what OakParkApartments.com does best!
- Pedestrian design: which means buildings close to the street and parking in back…. well it’s Oak Park and parking is just parking… we deal.
- Schools and workplaces: plenty of both!
- Complete streets: which means streets that are designed for bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit – we’ve got ’em!
So now we all know why Oak Park earned high marks on the walk-ability scale but why you ask does it matter?
- Health. Folks who live in walkable communities are 6 – 10 pounds lighter then those who do not.
- Happiness. People who live in areas with good public transit and access to amenities are happier.
- Environment. Walking produces zero emissions which, no one can argue, is environmentally friendly!
- Money: You save $$ when you live in a walkable community – lower transportation costs and better access to public transportation. Cars are expensive: the car itself, insurance, gas, maintenance…..
- Community: The less time you spend driving the more time you spend being involved.
If you don’t believe us go to: http://www.walkscore.com/walkable-neighborhoods.shtml for the stats!