So you are moving. Money is tight. You want/need your security deposit back from your present landlord. The best strategy – a clean apartment.
All landlords appreciate their property being turned back over in good condition. Here are a few cleaning tips to help best clean your apartment and guarantee you get your full security deposit back.
- Remove all nails, screws and adhesive hanging products from walls. Fill holes and touch up the paint.
- Dust. Start with ceiling fans, light fixtures, ledges – any and all dust collecting surfaces.
- Clean walls and baseboards. Purchase a Mr. Clean’s Magic Eraser it can help erase marks, crayon, ink, scuffed walls, etc….
- Vacuum and/or dry dust floors. If your carpet is stained you should spot treat.
- Clean out bathroom vanity and medicine cabinet. Remove any liners and toss. Vacuum then damp wash drawers, shelves and interior spaces.
- Damp wash exterior of vanity. Remove all residues.
- Vacuum the tile floor if your vacuum has a hard floor setting or you have an attachment hose to remove hair, dirt, etc. Otherwise sweep or Swifter.
- Remove soap scum from tub and surrounding tile.
- Wipe off faucets, fixtures and mirrors.
- Replace toilet seat. Home Depot has them for just over $5. Just know whether your toilet needs a round or oval seat before you purchase.
- Finally, mop the floor.
- Clean out all cabinets and liners. Wash inside and out.
- Pay special attention to the refrigerator/freezer/oven. Follow the link for specific refrigerator
and oven tips.
- Clean and sanitize countertops and back splashes.
- Clean and shine faucet and sink.
- Clean dishwasher, inside and out, if you have one.
- Sweep and wash floors.
For those of you who prefer to clean naturally vinegar, baking soda, lemons and water are a great and inexpensive alternative to store bought products.
Lastly, take pictures of your apartment in it’s clean state so there will be no disputes when you turn in your keys!