OakParkApartments.com is more aware today then ever about the need to watch what chemicals we are introducing into our environment. Many cleaning products today have a long list of ingredients that no one knows what the long term effects may be.
There are many more “green” products available in the store aisles but they can be pricey and since there are many inexpensive, natural alternatives that do a great job, why not give them a try.
- Multipurpose cleaner and degreaser: Mix half white vinegar and half water into a spray bottle – this works well for removing water deposit stains in showers, cleaning chrome fixtures, windows, bathroom mirrors, and solid surfaces in general. This also works great on carpet stains!
- Clogged Drain: Baking soda and white vinegar are the natural powerhouse of drain cleaners. First, pour boiling water down the drain. Add 1/2 cup of baking soda to the clogged drain. Next pour the white vinegar and watch the combination start to bubble. Let sit for about 15 minutes then pour another round of boiling water down the drain. Your pipes should be clear!
- Deodorizer: Baking soda, white vinegar and lemon juice mixed in a bowl is a great way to remove odors. Sprinkle baking soda on rugs or carpets, wait several hours, vacuum – smells should be neutralized. Lemon or orange peels down works wonders to de-smell a sink disposal.
- Mold: Combine 1/3 hydrogen peroxide to 2/3’s water, spray on moldy areas, wait a minimum of 1 hour – No more petri dish.
- Scuff Marks: Sprinkle baking soda on a damp sponge and rub away the scuff.
- Furniture Polish: Add a few drops of lemon oil to 1/2 cup of warm water. Mix well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray onto a soft cloth, wipe furniture with damp cloth then wipe with a dry cloth. Remember wood and too much water do not mix.
- Floor Cleaner: Wood – For damp mopping use ¼ of a cup of mild liquid dishwashing detergent added to a bucket of warm water. Vinyl – Add 1 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of warm water. If you want a little scent to your vinyl floor cleaner add 4 teaspoons of lemon juice or essential peppermint oil to the mix.
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner: Mix 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 cup white vinegar, let sit on water stains for a few minutes – then start scrubbing.
So with a few cheap, natural ingredients – white vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice, hydrogen peroxide, lemon oil, peppermint oil – your house can be sparkling clean and chemical free in no time.