Oak Park prides itself in being an Earth conscious community, making efforts year round to educate and assist Oak Parkers in their attempts to adopt a green lifestyle. From year-round electronics recycling to educational forums on rain barrels – Oak Park is committed to raising the eco-consciousness of its’ residents.
As a culmination of these eco-endeavors Oak Park celebrates its’ “green-ness” this year at their 5th annual Earth Fest, this Saturday, April 26th from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Oak Park’s Public Works building on South Boulevard.
This year’s Earth Fest theme focuses on how to have an “eco-friendly” block party. After the brutal winter weather Oak Parker’s are itching to enjoy some outdoor time but outdoor dining usually means one time use paper products. Oak Park’s Earth Fest will provide some sustainable alternatives to the usual paper plates and red solo cups used at outdoor events.
Along with the eco-friendly outdoor dining/party focus Earth Fest will highlight ideas that benefit our environment that include:
- Free composting and organic gardening consultations
- Outdoor kids’ activities (weather permitting)
- Energy efficiency tutorials
- Car sharing information
- Tips on eco-friendly landscaping
- Bike registration with Oak Park Police
- Recycle Alley – which allows residents to bring in items that cannot be recycled in the Villages blue bin system. Those items include: glasses, hearing aids, CFL light bulbs, cell phones, rechargeable batteries and wine corks.
And to top off all this green living fun, this year’s Earth Fest will feature food trucks (along with eco-friendly dinner-ware!)